Civil Unions

Apply in Person

Apply for a civil union license in person at a county clerk's office:

Cripple Creek: 101 W Bennett Avenue - 8 am to 4 pm


Both applicants must provide the following to obtain a civil union license:

  • Proof of age: Current U.S. driver's license, passport, original or certified copy of a birth certificate. Please note the name on the civil union license will appear exactly as it is on the ID you provide.
  • Social Security Number - If applicant does not have a Social Security Number, the applicant must complete the Sworn Statement Affidavit (PDF)
  • $30 fee for the license -cash or check only
  • $1.25 for certified copy of the Civil Union application, which is needed to change the last name of either party.

If an applicant cannot appear in person, the other applicant must apply in person and provide the following:

Divorced / Dissolved Applicants

If either applicant has previously been married or has previously been party to a civil union, provide the following in addition to the items listed in the Checklist section:

  • Name of previous spouse or partner
  • Date of divorce or dissolution (month/day/year)
  • Place of divorce or dissolution (city and state)
  • Type of court for the divorce or dissolution

Widowed Applicants

If either applicant is widowed, provide the following in addition to the items detailed in the Divorced / Dissolved Applicants section:

  • Date of death (month/day/year)
  • Place of death (city and state)

Age Requirements

Applicants for a Civil Union license must be 18 years of age or older. Applicants who are 16 and 17 years of age require consent from one of the following categories:

  • Both parents (or parent with legal custody)
  • Guardian
  • Judicial approval

Parents or Guardians: you must complete, sign and notarize the parental or guardian consent form (PDF).


Civil Unions are prohibited if an applicant is already married or in another civil union. Civil Unions between the following are also prohibited:

  • Ancestor and descendant
  • Siblings
  • Uncle and niece or uncle and nephew
  • Aunt and nephew or aunt and niece

Civil Union License Details

  • Civil union licenses must be used within 35 days from the date of issue, anywhere in Colorado
  • Civil union licenses may be obtained in any county, regardless of where the ceremony will take place in Colorado
  • Blood tests are not required

Civil Union licenses issued in Teller County must returned to:
Teller County Clerk and Recorder
P.O. Box 1010
Cripple Creek, CO 80813

Licenses must be returned within 63 days. If not returned within 63 days, late fees may be incurred up to $50

Copies of Civil Union Licenses

Please submit a written request with the names of both parties, and date of the Civil Union in addition to the appropriate fees to 

P.O. Box 101
Cripple Creek, CO 80813

Fee is $1.25 per certified copy plus self-addressed stamped return envelope

Or Copies may be requested in person at either Clerk and Recorder's office.

Contact Us with your questions regarding Civil Union Licenses