Marriage Licenses

(Marriage Licenses are only issued at our main office in Cripple Creek)

Apply in Person

Apply for a marriage license in person at the main county Clerk and Recorder's office in Cripple Creek at 101 W Bennett Avenue between 8 am to 3:30 pm.

You may complete the application at Teller County Clerk & Recorder Self-Service Website before coming in.


Both applicants must provide the following to obtain a marriage license:

  • Proof of ID with date of birth:
    • Valid U.S. driver's license or permit, passport, State ID or Military ID. Please note the name on the marriage license will appear exactly as it is on the ID you provide.
    • Social Security Number - If applicant does not have a Social Security Number, the applicant must complete the Sworn Statement Affidavit (PDF)
  • $30 fee for the license -cash or check only
  • $1.25 for certified copy of the Marriage application, which is needed to change the last name of either party.

If one applicant cannot appear in person, the other applicant must apply in person and provide the following:

Divorced / Dissolved Applicants

If either applicant has previously been married or has previously been party to a civil union, provide the following in addition to the items listed in the Checklist section:

  • Name of previous spouse or partner
  • Date of divorce or dissolution (month/day/year)
  • Place of divorce or dissolution (city and state)
  • Type of court for the divorce or dissolution

Widowed Applicants

If either applicant is widowed, provide the following in addition to the items detailed in the Checklist section:

  • Date of death (month/day/year)
  • Place of death (city and state)

Age Requirements

Applicants for a marriage license must be 18 years of age or older. Applicants who are 16 and 17 years of age require judicial approval.


Marriages are prohibited if an applicant is already married or in another civil union.

Marriages between the following are also prohibited:

  • Ancestor and descendant
  • Siblings
  • Uncle and niece or uncle and nephew
  • Aunt and nephew or aunt and niece

Marriage License Details

  • Your chosen ceremony date must be within 35 days from the date of issue
  • Marriage licenses may be obtained in any county, regardless of where the ceremony will take place in Colorado
  • Blood tests are not required

Marriage licenses issued in Teller County must be returned within 63 days to:
Teller County Clerk and Recorder
P.O. Box 1010
Cripple Creek, CO 80813

Licenses not returned within 63 days, may incur late fees up to $50 and/or cancellation.

Copies of Marriage Licenses

  • Please submit a written request with the names of both parties, and date of the marriage in addition to the appropriate fees to P.O. Box 1010 Cripple Creek, CO 80813
  • Fee is $1.25 per certified copy plus self-addressed stamped return envelope
  • Copies may be requested in person at either Clerk and Recorder's office.
  • Copies may be requested at Teller County Clerk & Recorder Self-Service Website

Contact Us with your questions regarding Civil Union Licenses